The "Knight´s Garden" offers splendid views of the Florentine hills
for those who make the effort to hike to the top of this hill. The garden
originally grew medicinal plants; after 1612 it was remodelled to host rare
flowers, following a design by Giulio Parigi (who also designed the
Amphitheater). The building, known as the "Casino del Cavaliere", also
dates to 1612 and was originally used to house pots and vases. Later, Cardinal
Leopold de'Medici used it as a place to meet with various scholars and scientists.
It was also here where Cosimo III taught French to his son Giangastone, last
of the Medici dynasty. Today it houses the Porcelain Museum. The garden as
we see it today was laid out in 1792 by Giuseppe del Rosso. In May one can
enjoy beautiful blooming roses here, of the varieties "Banksiae",
"Bourbon", and "Tea".