The "Vasca dell´Isola" ("Island Basin") contains at its center the
magnificent "Isolotto", a small island full of citrus plants and roses, and
rising above it all the "Fountain
of the Ocean", executed in 1576 by Giambologna (also the creator of the
of Abundance). It was originally placed in the Amphitheater
and re-located here in 1636. The Ocean statue itself is an early 20th century
copy of the original, which now resides at the Bargello museum. The two statues
in the foreground are by Giovan Francesco Susini and date to 1624. At left
is, "Cupid Breaking A Heart With A Hammer", and at right, "Cupid
Shoots An Arrow". They flank "Andromeda"
who emerges from the water, restored by Giovan Battista Pieratti. There are
many interesting statues to be seen, both large and small, here in the Basin,
including some of the animal statues sculpted by Romolo Ferrucci del Tadda,
creator of the
Fountain of the Mostaccini.