At the southern end of the broad avenue (´viale della limonaia´)
which leads one back to the Pitti Palace, is the ´Lemon House´.
Designed by Zanobi del Rosso, who is also responsible for the Kaffeehaus,
it was erected in 1777-78 as part of Peter Leopold's renovations of the Garden.
The building retains the colorful original rococó stucco which once
characterized many Florentine structures. It was built where the Medici once
kept a menagerie of rare animals. The Limonaia was intended to house rare
and interesting citrus plants and today it still houses a collection started
by the Medici. The Medici held citrus in high regard, for their reputed medicinal
and therapeutic qualities as well as for their beauty and uniqueness of certain